The Phone Call / March 7, 2017

It is now Monday, March 6th.  It has been five days since my biopsy and the weekend is over.  I called my ENT office to talk to the doctor who ordered the CT Scan and Biopsy.  Not that I was worried, but I really wanted to get the results of the biopsy and put this all to rest.  Kim was more nervous than before and asking a bunch of “What If’s”.  I was pretty convinced that everything would come back negative, but still a little part of you wonders…..

The nurse let me know the doctor was out of the office but she would have him check on the results and let me know tomorrow.  Well, there was nothing else we could do so we find out tomorrow.

On Tuesday, March 7th the phone rang at 7:30 in the morning.  Kim picked up the phone and saw the number was from Orlando.  She handed me the phone and said, “Answer it”.  I take the phone and still half asleep say, Hello.  I hear the nurse for my ENT on the other end asking me to hold for the doctor. 

The doctor finally picks up the line and apologizes for calling so early.  He then, without any hesitation or stalling tells me the biopsy came back positive for Squamous Cell Carcinoma.  I do have cancer in the lymph nodes.  He finished by saying he will have a cancer doctor call me for a consultation and “Good Luck”.

Have you ever wondered what your reaction would be to the news that you have cancer? Me too, and the funny thing was it didn’t devastate me.  I gave the news to Kim and then started my day.  I didn’t cry, I didn’t get angry, and I didn’t think it was a mistake.  I just took it in and knew there would be a lot of information coming my way.

Two hours later I was called by the UF Cancer Center in Orlando, Fl.  I was told that I have an appointment the following day with an Oncologist to discuss treatment.  I couldn’t help but be impressed with how quick this was moving.  I also couldn’t help but wonder why it was moving so quick.  Kim was now completely distraught.  She could not go ten minutes without crying and was convinced the end was near. 


A few people had told her to not be so emotional and not to cry in front of me or it would cause me more stress.  I told her I need her to cry for both of us and be as emotional as she could.  As a caregiver, she is going through the same journey I am going through and needs to deal with it in a healthy and complete manner.  There are five steps to grieving, and she was doing just what she was supposed to be doing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teeth Extraction Surgery / April 5, 2017

Day 17... I Have Passed The Halfway Point In Radiation / May 23, 2017

Swallow Test and Nutrition / March 17, 2017