Third and Final Biopsy of the Lymph Node / April 25, 2017

Okay, it is April 25th and I am getting my third and final biopsy of my lymph node.  Let me explain how we got to this point.  I have spoken with my radiation doctor and had my radiation mask all made and ready to go.  I have spoken to my chemotherapy doctor and have my chemo type and dosage all prescribed and ready to go.  Everything is set up and scheduled for me to be poisoned and radiated, but I still had one question. 

I sent an e-mail to my surgeon and told him I want to take a step back before I start treatment.  I explained that the first biopsy taken on March 1st showed Squamous Cell carcinoma.  Since that day nobody has been able to capture or find the cancer anywhere else.  It was not found during my surgery where several samples were taken and it was not found with the large core biopsy taken on March 30th.  Can he give me clear and convincing evidence that I do have cancer before I start.

I guess that was a legitimate request.  Within an hour of sending that e-mail his scheduler called and said the doctor wants to see me that afternoon.  Kim and I load up after she gets off work and drive to Orlando to see him.  The doctor says he understands my concern.  He offers me the opportunity for one more large core biopsy to see if we can get a sample of the cancer.  Then he says if this sample comes back clean he may start questioning the diagnosis himself.  If that happened he talked about doing a neck dissection, where he would remove all of the lymph nodes.  I took him up on the offer for another biopsy and said we would discuss other options depending on how it turned out.

If they find cancer on this pass it will still be an unknown primary, but we have another chance to try and identify the strain and see if it is HPV, and I will feel much better about the treatment.

Back to the biopsy.  I am lead back to the treatment room and placed on a table.  I get the standard ultrasound examination so the doctor can see the lymph node and use the equipment to line up the biopsy.  The doctor starts talking and joking with us as he looks.  Once he is comfortable with what he sees, he gets the tray with the needles out and ready.  He explains he is going to use a 16 gauge needle this time.  It is the biggest needle they have, but he wants to make sure he gets a real good sample.


This is the point where Kim leaves the room.  She doesn’t like the blood and procedures.  As she is about to leave, the doctor obligates her to come over and look at the ultrasound monitor.  He then gives her a complete lesson on what he is doing and how it works.  




The doctor then jabs this needle, which feels like it is the size of a 2 x 4 into my neck.  Kim looks down and says, “Is there supposed to be that much blood”? Really, did she just ask that while I have this doctor stabbing a needle near my carotid artery?  He laughed and assured her it was normal. Kim got so excited over the procedure that she actually filmed it for me.  Now we wait and see.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teeth Extraction Surgery / April 5, 2017

Day 17... I Have Passed The Halfway Point In Radiation / May 23, 2017

Swallow Test and Nutrition / March 17, 2017