Day Eight / May 10, 2017

Last night was a long night.  The acid reflux was bad so I had to sleep sitting up again.  This is just part of the side effects of the chemo drugs. As the week wears on, the effects lessen, thank goodness.

Today I was not sick, but the fatigue would come in waves and I was tired a lot. With the fatigue came a lack of appetite and just sheer exhaustion.  According to both the oncologist and the radiation doctor, this will get worse with both the chemotherapy and the radiation.

My radiation treatment went well today, in and out with no problem.

This afternoon the Osceola School District held a wellness 5k. Each school created teams who went there and walked or ran the 5k.  Lakeview Elementary School, where Kim works, adopted us as their team mascot.  The art teacher drew a design for their shirts and named them "Team Charlie".  He added a mustache and mirrored sunglasses in the graphic to capture the "Cop" in me, Lol.

I was hoping to go to the kickoff to thank the team for their support and love.  Unfortunately, today's high was 97 degrees and this was an outside event.  I put on my Team Charlie shirt and got ready to go, but when I walked outdoors the heat made me instantly sick. My radiation team told me to avoid the sun at all costs because the radiation causes a deep burn, now I know what they were talking about.

As I was sitting here feeling angry for not being able to go and join them, Kim came home and told me to check Facebook.  I opened it up and was overwhelmed.  The group from Team Charlie at Lakeview Elementary took a group photo at the school, while wearing their shirts.  In front of them were the words "SHMILY" written on poster board.

SHMILY has so much significance between Kim and I.  Whenever we do something for each other, or want to let the other one know they are in our heart we write SHMILY on it.  The meaning, See How Much I Love You!  To see that entire group of people wearing their shirts and holding up those signs just made me feel loved.


Some of the more creative people in the group made balloon ribbons for Head and Neck Cancer and wore them as hats.  After seeing these on, I have to admire their courage too.


Kim and I took a photo with our shirts.  I couldn't be there like I wanted to, but I was there in spirit.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teeth Extraction Surgery / April 5, 2017

Day 17... I Have Passed The Halfway Point In Radiation / May 23, 2017

Swallow Test and Nutrition / March 17, 2017