Day Four And There Is Light At The End Of The Tunnel / May 4, 2017

First let me start off with, "May The Fourth Be With You"!!!

Okay,  last night I slept quite a bit because of the drugs that were pumped into me when I got the fluids.  I woke up this morning still feeling a little nauseous, but it was tolerable.  I grabbed my marble from the jar and headed out to my radiation treatment with Kim.  The drive there made things a little worse. Nothing like car sickness on top of a chemo stomach.

When we made it to the "Bunker" to get my radiation treatment I was nervous.  My stomach was not settled, and frankly I am scared of throwing up with that mask on, the consequences could be pretty severe. I had the tech put on the Eagles soundtrack and we just got it done.

After we left the Bunker, my Chemo doctor had me come over to discuss my current medications for nausea.  That was an interesting meeting.  We discussed the two meds I was on, Zofram and Compazine and the pre-meds she gives me just before my chemo on Mondays.  The pre-meds are a cocktail of anti-nausea medicines mixed with steroids. They are supposed to help get me through the three day rough patch after chemo, they didn't.

After changing the entire course of drugs I am scheduled to take, when I am going to get them and in what order to take them, there was concern that I may be having an allergic reaction to one of them, Phenergan. We changed the entire course of drugs again to eliminate the Phenergan.  She prescribed a new drug that she thought would work really well.

It was now time to go downstairs and get another bag of fluid pumped into my port.  This is supposed to help with the dehydration and nausea.  Kim had the great idea of the doctor giving me a sample of the new drug to make sure I was not allergic to it.  The doctor thought it was a good idea and sent me one pill to take while I get my fluids.



An hour after I finished my treatment I started with a constant itch and muscle twitches, the same reaction I had with the phenergan.  I called the doctor from home and she changed up the medicines on us again.  With these meds, some can be taken on the same days and some cannot. Some have to be a certain amount of hours apart and some are to be taken together. It became so confusing we had to make a cheat sheet on when to take them and in what order.

The good part is by the time we left and got home, I was able to eat a good dinner. I had grits, toast and pancakes.  You may argue over that is a good dinner, but from my perspective, it was great.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teeth Extraction Surgery / April 5, 2017

Day 17... I Have Passed The Halfway Point In Radiation / May 23, 2017

Swallow Test and Nutrition / March 17, 2017