Day Five. One Week Down / May 5, 2017

Happy Cinco De Mayo!!!

Today turned out to be a pretty good day. I woke up with just a little bit of nausea.  I was able to brush my teeth and do my mouth rinses without any problems. I never thought something so simple would ever be an issue, you just never know. I grabbed my marble out of my jar and we headed out.



Jessie brought me to the UF Cancer center for my treatments today. My first stop was the hydration room.  This is where everyone who has a port installed has to go for blood work and to get fluids.  I received a bag of saline, a bag of steroids and a dose of Pepcid.  These did wonders for taking away what was left of my nausea.

After we got the fluids, which took 2 very long hours, we headed over to the bunker for radiation.  Radiation went well today.  I wasn't worried of choking and my stomach was settled for the first time in a week.

After the treatment I threw away my fifth marble and ended my first of seven weeks of treatment.  I was so excited, kind of like leaving work at the end of the day knowing you were about to leave on vacation.



I am not excited about starting this all over again on Monday, but I have faith that my medical team have tweaked the medications enough to make the chemo treatment tolerable.  I also found comfort in a study I was reading. In Hebrews 4:14-15, it reminds us that God became man and experienced the fear, loneliness and pain that we all experience. In the dark when we cry out he always says, "I know".

Comments

  1. I am very proud of how you handled this week! (well except your stubbornness on Wednesday) Lol But seriously, you have been strong, brave and courageous! I can't think of anybody who walks in that bunker, with the attitude, "I'm here, let's get'er done" like you do. You don't moan or complain that you don't want too. Which I know you don't because who would?! Especially as sick as you were! But you know that you have no choice, so you do AND with a positive attitude at that! I have never been more proud of you than I am right now! And being a law enforcement officer for 30 years, there have been MANY times that I have been proud of you but this tops them all! This by far is the scariest situation that you have ever been in and you are facing your enemy head on saying, Let's go, show me what you got and I'll show you what I'm made of! Keep up the positive attitude and soon you'll lose your marbles! One at a time! #SHMILY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beautiful the love you two have with each other.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Charlie. Thank you to your wife and family ...for sharing your story but also as a whole family. I was told last night about this and I thought surely Amaury was mistaken but here you are, and here I am finishing up reading. You've already inspired me, both of you, to approach a couple of my own obstacles differently. Isn't that the whole point of sharing our stories, even in what could be the worst of times?
      Charlie, I didn't know you retired! Whether you realize this or not, you were one of the kindest people I'd ever worked with and you were always so forthcoming and positive...hopeful and open.
      I remember hearing a particular song on the radio one day on my way to work and I was humming it. I told you it was such a beautiful song & made me cry, it was so lovely ...but didn't know who it was sung by much less the name. You immediately told me it was "Home" by Michael Buble' and I've been hooked on him since. Every time I hear it I think of that moment, what a wonderful person you are and I was lucky to work with you. I really was.
      You've got this. You all will be in my thoughts and prayers.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teeth Extraction Surgery / April 5, 2017

Day 17... I Have Passed The Halfway Point In Radiation / May 23, 2017

Swallow Test and Nutrition / March 17, 2017