Day Six, Trying New Meds / May 08, 2017

The weekend went fairly well.  I was able to get out and get around with no nausea.  It was great to run into some old friends and catch up on how things were going. I just couldn't go like before because I tired quickly.

Last night I did not get much sleep.  I was stressed about the chemotherapy today. Even though I trust they were going to fix my pre-treatment meds, I just kept remembering how bad last week was.

This morning Kim and I got up and got ready.  I went through my mouth ritual, brushing my teeth, using two mouthwashes, rinsing out my sinuses, and taking my new pills.  I then grabbed my marble and we headed out the door.

First stop was the Port Access room.  On the days I have chemo I have to get my blood drawn to make sure my numbers are high enough for my body to handle the chemical, well really poison.  If my blood is not healthy enough than the treatment is delayed until the numbers come up.  Today I was fine!

I then jump in the car and head over to the Bunker for my radiation.  Today is the start of Nurses week, so Kim and I picked up three dozen donuts from Sip and Dip.  At each phase of the treatment we delivered a dozen donuts. It was neat making all the staff smile.

I jumped on the radiation table, still feeling pretty well.  I got all bolted down and was starting the treatment when, ugh...my sinuses started running down the back of my throat.  It wasn't really choking me but I felt a coughing fit coming.  Unfortunately I cannot cough with the radiation mask on so I waved (the pre-determined signal for Help).  The two techs came running in and unbolted me from the table.  They had me up in about six seconds.  That gave me more confidence in case something goes bad later in the treatment.

I explained what happened. They got me some water, kleenex and sat me up.  Once I felt like I could go the 20 minutes without coughing, we started back over.  When I got off the table Kim had a good laugh.  It seems that I got a waffle head from the radiation mask, presumable because I was wearing it longer.



I went to the radiation doctor next and got my weekly visit.  I explained that me tastebuds were being affected by the radiation and things were starting to taste different. really things were starting to taste bad.  He told me this was normal and my side effects were right on schedule.

Sorry but this next part is part of the journey.  I haven't been able to poop for five days.  It is because of the nausea medicine they have me on.  Funny, I am given nausea medicine to help my nausea but this medicine backs me up and makes me nauseous.  The doctor had me get some medicine to help get things going.  When I picked up the medicine I couldn't help but laugh.


The bottle says that it is a "Sparkling Laxative" and is Lemon flavor. You have got to be kidding me, that's kind of like hanging a chandelier in a haunted house.  It doesn't change anything, it's still a haunted house, and this is still a disgusting laxative!

The last stop was the chemo lab.  I got my new meds and the nurse was impressed.  She thought it would make a big difference.  I am hopeful too.  I have been home for four hours and have not gotten nauseous yet.  We will know for sure in the morning.


Thank you all for your prayers and support, it really means  a lot.

Comments

  1. LOVE that you celebrated your nurses! LOVE your updates!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Teeth Extraction Surgery / April 5, 2017

Day 17... I Have Passed The Halfway Point In Radiation / May 23, 2017

Swallow Test and Nutrition / March 17, 2017