Day 14 Now it's Food / May 18, 2017

Kim and I started the day with radiation today.  I was still nervous about the choking experience I had yesterday.  I knew I was okay but it was stressful and I have to admit a little scary.  I decided to bring one of my mouthwashes with me this morning and rinse just before I get bolted down under that mask.  My hopes were that the effects of the mouthwash would keep some moisture in my cheeks or mouth for the twenty minutes I was being cooked.

The apprehension of driving up there worried about it, and sitting in the lobby waiting to see if it worked was taking atoll on my nerves.  I explained my fears to my radiation techs, Gail and Michelle and they both explained it was very normal.  They gave me some hints that other patients have done by gargling before their treatment.  I decided to try the mouthwash as planned.  It did help, but my mouth was dry and I know from this day forward it will only get worse.

After I got out of the cooker both Gail and Michelle told Kim and I to go and see our radiation doctor.  They said that many of their patients will start to take Ativan, an anxiety drug, at this point in their treatment.  I decided it was worth the effort to go see him.

I went over to the radiation doctor and explained what was going on.  He asked if I have ever taken Ativan or Xanax before.  I explained I have not, but am concerned about a drug that is going to wipe me out or make me more tired.  The fatigue is already taking a toll on me and I don't want to make it worse.  He agreed and said Xanax will stay in my system longer.  Since I am only experience anxiety over the radiation table and not throughout the day, he prescribed me the Ativan.

As he was looking at my chart, he looked at me and asked, "You aren't on any pain management yet"? I asked it I should be.  He said some people start to have issues managing their throat pain by this point in the treatment.  I explained that it is sore but I am still able to swallow and function.  I did complain about my dry mouth and asked what I could do.  He laughed, said drink a lot of water and deal with it.

He said some patients tend to respond stronger to one group of side effects over another.  If I am lucky, mine will be the dry mouth and overwhelming mucous that is coming and not the pain.  He assured me I will be in a lot of pain, but maybe later rather than earlier.  At this point, I will take it. Finally some good news.

My new issue is food!!!!!!  Everything tastes awful and consistency is becoming an issue. I already don't have an appetite and then when I try to eat it is either too hard to chew and swallow or just tastes bad.  I was dong good with soup and grits now they are getting harder to eat.  Kim is trying so hard to get me to eat.  She will make me two or three lunches or two or three dinners just to find something that works.  In the process, she is making microwave meals for herself or eating quick meals.  I think she is having a sympathy diet.

I think I will be moving to a liquid diet before long.  I will keep trying new foods in the meantime though to hold that off as long as possible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teeth Extraction Surgery / April 5, 2017

Day 17... I Have Passed The Halfway Point In Radiation / May 23, 2017

Swallow Test and Nutrition / March 17, 2017